On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 16:55:26 -0600
Steve Saner <h...@saner.net> wrote:

> So, I do think klaatu makes a good point and I think, as a ham
> community we should maybe try to share how one goes about getting a
> license, which, specifics aside, probably is fairly much the same in
> most countries (but I don't really know).

In that situation, in the US it would be:

0.  Decide on what license class you'd like to test for:  Technician
(VHF/UHF and some limited HF CW), General (Seems to be most HF users),
or Extra (shoot for the moon).

1.  Acquire the appropriate study material and study it/memorize the
answers.

2.  Find a VEC, schedule and take your test.

3.  Buy (a) radio(s) appropriate for the mode(s) you want to operate.

4.  Try not to cause QRM!  :D

I think most folks enter through the Tech class license.  I also agree
that memorizing the answers isn't the way to go but when given the
structure of testing it's almost unavoidable.  That's a philosophical
discussion/holy war that has decimated many a conversation.

Thanks for the kind words and the constructive input.  I think more
amateur radio shows on HPR is a great idea as it fits the theme quite
well.

cmh

- --
Happy Hacking!

http://manor.space/~cmhobbs
GPG:  1200 0808 F968 47AB F489  91A3 FE26 6FFB 1A77 0868