Sorry to hear about this situation, that is unfortunate and I hope this is
resolved soon for the folks involved.

As far as the CoC or other wording fixes, please do consider this route with
caution. Whether you approve of them or not, CoC’s are an attack surface, and
organizations who are pushed to adopt them often don’t consider this. All
groups already have the ability to eject people from their midst who behave in
ways the group disapproves of. A CoC simply extends this ability to people
outside your group. Also, it may tie your hands in cases when someone simply
makes a mistake or there’s merely a misunderstanding much like school
no-tolerance policies. No one is perfect, we all make mistakes. The question is
if someone is intentionally and/or perpetually offensive or just made a
mistake. Do you want your hands tied in the later case? Especially considering
that this platform is a place where people with many diverse view points come
together to discuss them. If a CoC is inevitable then you can still somewhat
navigate those issues, or you can give up all your power to anyone outside your
organization who may have an axe to grind against you or a few of your members.
The choice is yours.

Thanks,
-dosman