Hi ...

   I have had the same thing happen to me twice.  In each
   case, hardware problems on the responding server were the
   culprit.  Also in each case, the server was slowly spoon-feeding
   information back to the digger ... a few bytes ... wait maybe as
   long as a minute ... a few bytes more.  The first time it was
   a disk problem and the second time a NIC problem.

   What you can do is telnet to the problem server at port 80:

   telnet www.problem.com 80

   and send the command:

   GET / HTTP1.0

   Press ENTER twice.  If you don't see a complete display of HTML
   source with a "connection closed" message, you may well have the
   same problem I saw.

   ht://Dig as a hardware diagnostic tool.  Pretty weird.

-bd