> If you're just serving up static HTML from your results, you can't. The
> search CGI would somehow have to modify the static files on your server
> based on the search.

this is what i saw in the archives, don't remember who said that though.
my first thought was why?

> If you're serving dynamic content, you could pass $(WORDS) to the
> CGI/Perl/PHP/Whatever and have that code take care of the highlighting.

you dont' have to be doing "true dynamic content" to do this.  what i was
was seeing (there maybe a couple gotcha's yet to be found) but is
basically this,

modify the long.html and short.html to correct the links so that they
will pass the info to a cgi script (perl, c, python, php, whatever) with
the URL of the document and the $(WORDS) as two arguments. the script
would then parse and highlight (based on what color etc you want) and then
just print the data to stdout (your browser).  that way there were be
no need to "modify the file on disk".  you are still serving up "static"
files, just parsing them before/(as you are) sending them.

that is why i said it actually looks VERY simple to me.

cam

Cam Proctor, System Administrator, PowerNET ISP            [EMAIL PROTECTED]