According to Cam Proctor:
> you dont' have to be doing "true dynamic content" to do this.  what i was
> was seeing (there maybe a couple gotcha's yet to be found) but is
> basically this,
>
> modify the long.html and short.html to correct the links so that they
> will pass the info to a cgi script (perl, c, python, php, whatever) with
> the URL of the document and the $(WORDS) as two arguments. the script
> would then parse and highlight (based on what color etc you want) and then
> just print the data to stdout (your browser).  that way there were be
> no need to "modify the file on disk".  you are still serving up "static"
> files, just parsing them before/(as you are) sending them.
>
> that is why i said it actually looks VERY simple to me.

Yes, tying the highlighter code into htsearch is very simple.  Writing the
highlighter script itself is the tricky part.  It would have to fetch
the document (which may be on another server - wget may be useful
for this), and essentially parse it to highlight all the words (or
variations, e.g. fuzzy matches - maybe using WORDS and LOGICAL_WORDS),
avoiding highlighting text within HTML tags.  There was a thread on this
list a few month ago about implementing this, and someone was going to
contribute whatever he developed, but I don't recall hearing any further
news about it.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>