>Is it possible to tell htsearch to write its output to a file rather
>than send it to the asking browser (I would like to add stuff to the
>file before sending it on...).

Not exactly. You'll probably need either a CGI "wrapper" or something
like PHP to parse the output and add what you want. There are
examples of both approaches in the contributed section of the website
and plenty of messages to the mailing list about both.

I'll defer to others' expert opinions at this point, but this is
certainly the approach you need to take.

-Geoff Hutchison
Williams Students Online
http://wso.williams.edu/