Hi Mick

Here is a very interesting paper on making strip panoramas out of
ordinary photos taken from multiple viewpoints, written by one of the
leaders in commercial image processing technology:
http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/multipano/agarwala_sig06.pdf.
It was inspired by the work of artist Michael Koller, whose website
you should study.
http://www.seamlesscity.com/

The "slit-scan" method is a far easier, hence more popular method.
Here are some of my favorite examples:
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~slitcamera/egindex.htm (whole trains self-
scanned)
http://www.danubepanorama.net/en/Main/Showcase (banks of the Danube
scanned by boat)
http://www.cs.iupui.edu/~jzheng/RP/Changan/ (a long city street
scanned by bus)
http://www.flong.com/texts/lists/slit_scan/  (a wonderful collection
of slit-scan art)

> As you say, and I never thought about it before, the perspective is right from
> the middle of each face of the original photograph and then the
> equirectangular is a blend of the flat images ignoring the perspective. So I
> suppose more photos is better for that but I never saw it as been an issue.
>
>  this is a suitable examplehttp://www.panagito.com/MISC/quorr-abbey2.html
>
> somewhere in there then the perspective should be wrong around the seams ( I
> think it is 6 photos around ) but I cannot see it.

You can't see it because it isn't wrong.   The whole point of pano
stitching software is to reshape the separate pictures so they fit
together perfectly on a sphere, then project the spherical composite
image back into a flat one.   So you won't see any sign of the
"perspective" of the taking lens in a well stitched panorama.  Nor
will you see any sign of the cube edges in a cubic panorama that is
being displayed by a properly designed program.  The mapping from cube
faces to screen is arranged to make it look as if you were viewing
that spherical image from the inside, with your eye right at the
center.

> I am not sure if what you imagine is possible just with photography I think it
> requires cheating one of the 3 perspective points.

Something like that is one of the main ingredients in the baroque wide
angle drawing technique.  But there are usually more than 3 "vanishing
points" -- and in some areas, just a subtle continuous shift of
perspective.

> Perhaps the old masters just didn't know what they were doing
> :-)http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=hockney+camera+obscura&meta=

Hockney is probably right that some old masters used images projected
by lenses to help them get shapes right -- as do many modern masters.
But that couldn't possibly have helped Panini -- the lenses of his day
had terribly narrow fields, and even a Canon 12mm would not have
showed St Peters the way he drew it.  It is a work of the imagination
-- his and the viewer's.

Regards, Tom