Hi Dev,

Dev Ghosh schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to solve the problems I'm encountering as part of Summer of
> Code.  Specifically, I'd like to introduce a mosaic mode to Hugin.  This
> will require the development of the geometric framework to project from
> the mosaic image viewpoints to that of an orthographic view of the
> entire painting.  I propose calculating the warp using a homography,
> applying the calculated mapping, and projecting the result to the
> orthographic viewpoint.  A homography estimation algorithm developed in
> C by Lourakis will provide the required homography matrix calculations.

While the homest package by Lourakis is a nice piece of work, I think
that it would be better to stick with the physical model that panotools
uses, as that also handle lens distortions properly and would allow
using fisheye and cylindrical cameras, too. This would mean that one
"just" needs to implement the right transformation functions, and reuse
the exiting optimisation algorithms.
The only problem is that all current panotools transformations have not
been build with moving viewpoints in mind, so the panotools projections
code would probably need some reorganisation/rewrite to allow this cleanly.

Having a mode for properly mosaicing planar scenes would be an extremly
welcome addition to hugin.

ciao
  Pablo