Hello,

I've been trying to use Hugin to stitch together image mosaics of a planar
object (a painting) for some months now.  My images are heavily overlapped,
but because each image is taken from a different location, I am dealing both
with the problem of a shift in the camera viewpoint and using Hugin's
current projection model which isn't designed for mosaics.  Over the past
two months, I have been looking into Hugin's source code and finding my way
around.  I have made some minor tweaks for my own use such as allowing the
use of optimized values of shear_x and shear_y, (a.k.a. g and t.)  I have
compiled and built Hugin both on Windows and on Linux under Ubuntu.

I'd like to solve the problems I'm encountering as part of Summer of Code.
Specifically, I'd like to introduce a mosaic mode to Hugin.  This will
require the development of the geometric framework to project from the
mosaic image viewpoints to that of an orthographic view of the entire
painting.  I propose calculating the warp using a homography, applying the
calculated mapping, and projecting the result to the orthographic
viewpoint.  A homography estimation algorithm developed in C by Lourakis
will provide the required homography matrix calculations.

I'm a PhD candidate in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at
Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois working to develop software that
can be used by art historians to study paintings photographed under a wide
range of lighting conditions.  I hope Hugin will become a vital  tool for
pre-processing, warping, and stitching images for my project.

I plan to upload my full proposal to the wiki soon and look forward to your
feedback.  I would especially be interested in hearing from potential
mentors.  From the earlier messages, it's clear that there is great demand
for such a feature and I would enjoy working with the Hugin community to
make it better for all of us.

Best,
Dev