I've been a fan and a user of Hugin for a few years, making my own
panoramas, tutorials, even going as far as using it for professional
purposes but I've never got into the coding side of it. I'm really
enthusiastic about getting into the community and seeing if I can go
for the google summer of code, but I'm having trouble getting ideas
for useful patches.

I'm a second year computer science student and very competent in Java
and C, and have ventured into cpp for a few small projects so I feel I
could make a decent contribution but Im not sure what I can do for a
patch. How big/complex does the patch have to be to be considered
seriously?

Thanks for anything you have to contribute,

Joe Templeman