>> Do you also uncheck the previously optimized images in the next
>> optimization run to make sure they stay put, or can Hugin handle it
>> just doing minor adjustments to them?  I guess "tension" would build
>> up in the pano as it grows otherwise?
>
> No, I keep the previously optimized images as well. Since these
> parameters are already close to the minimum, it does not add much
> "tension" (although I probably used the optimization based on the
> "last known position", or however it is called).

Probably you used the "optimize positions incrementally starting from
anchor", right?

Actually before Hugin/panotools can handle linear panorama, would it
be a feasible hack to make an:   "optimize positions incrementally
from anchor"  for   e, d, r   and   hFOV instead?    anyone with
insight in autooptimize, is that heart surgery or piece of cake?

I think it would be useful!

--
/O