Thanks for trying to help, but....I'm still confused.

> If you place the initial
> seam in the middle and I assume you mean horizontal center at the top,
> you would get a distance to the left image's boundary (indicated by
> the red line) of zero while still having a small distance to the right
> image's boundary (indicated by the green line just above the red one).

Why zero ? If I start the line in the middle of the overlap wouldn't
the horizontal distance between red and green borders exactly half of
the overlap width ?
I was trying to understand this with a friend of mine and apparently
we are both dummy :-)

Is the line generation based on something like the grassfire
transform ?

Are there details on how optimization works ? I guess one needs to
find a line that does not pass thru mismatches (i.e. parallax or
moving objects).

Thanks again.