Hi,

On 14 June, 08:12, Andrew Mihal <andrewcmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - How to handle seams that are closed contours, e.g. the kind of
> overlaps that are formed when patching the zenith or nadir of a
> full-360 panorama.

It is not only the the closed contour (where there is a bug as shown)
http://wiki.panotools.org/Enblend_Testcase_2008-05-02
but one should think about overlap areas where the bordering
is not just images A-B but maybe A-B-A-B or even A-B-A-B-A-B
when one loops around the bounding line. One needs two
or even three seam lines, and there is a choice of topology.

Computing a nearest neighbour mask based on raster representation
does not run into such kind of problem, of course.

> - How to avoid geometrically uninteresting seam solutions, such as
> seam lines that double back on themselves.

If one crops the stitching output, then topologically
the blend area may be bordered by image A or image B, but third
possibility is that the crop line is a border as well. No problem for
a bitmap-based nearest neighbour algorithm (again), but in principle
one has the freedom to start the seam line, anywhere along the border.
Of course one wants to slightly prefer a mid-point start.

http://wiki.panotools.org/Enblend_Testcase_2008-05-18
shows where a different seam line start would be beneficial.

One more thing. For debugging, for development I would like
--save-masks  --load-masks  --visualises commands
that save all masks and seam line visualisations.
At the moment files only from the last blend step
are surviving (the previous versions are overwritten),
and a standard stitch usually uses more than 2 images.

Regards
Klaus