Hi,
    The vertex state space is already restricted to the perpendicular
lines as you suggest. When the initial seam line bends, these state
space lines tend to intersect, which leads to geometrically
uninteresting solutions where the seam line doubles back on itself.
Addressing this issue would be a good start. One of the motivations
for choosing annealing was the ability to encode more complex
optimization criteria into the costfunction, like a penalty for seams
that have self-intersections, or are too straight, or too curvy, or
reduce the enclosed area of a closed contour by too much, etc. The
current implementation is very rudimentary, both in the costfunction
implementation and the annealer itself. I would put more time into it
if I had any to spare.

Andrew