allard wrote:
> The warnings at the
> first screen of the installer don't make much sense yet because I have
> not adapted that particular piece of text. Also, because it is based
> on the officially dubbed 0.8 release 4008, while Ad has already
> released 4012, the page it refers you to after installation says this
> is an old version....

welcome to the differences between "snapshots" and final releases.

remember your first installer, when you removed the call to the URL that
shows the welcome page? you want to do that for a release.

the idea of the web page redirect is that snapshots are short lived -
hence upon installation the users are directed to a webpage that tells
them whether they have the bleeding edge / latest snapshot or not.

it could be extended to releases, but I would do it differently. there
is no need for dynamics, so rather than the url with ?SVN=... I would
put a fix URL inside url.txt, pointing it to a web page that is specific
for that release, e.g.
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/installed/0.8.0.shtml (which does not exist
yet) and put on that page the information relevant to the release.

and: for an official release package you want to polish the warnings and
other text. they are all snapshot specific. one wants to hope that we
did some polishing before releasing final 0.8.0.

Ad (and anybody else) can continue to build and publish snapshots, the
system will be trimmed so that it points you to the very latest based on
SVN number. If 64bit snapshots become current and asynchronized with
32bit snapshots, we may need a more fine grained solution in the short
term. in the long term i'd like to see both 32 and 64 bit snapshots
produced with a single script like the one used by Ad.

Yuv