When you say the results are in shreds, are you looking at the final stitch,
or the fast preview?
I got one stitch that (don't know why) will give extremely weird results in
the fast preview.
The regular preview gives better results in that case.

As for the few control point way out, I'd recommend you open the control
point dialog, look into the few that are too far, delete them once confirmed
they are wrong. Then reoptimize.

As for the exposure... not too sure.

Hope this helps

nick