Hi all,

I post this mail to the hugin-ptx group but also directly to the group of
possible brave volunteers who want to start building a Hugin and
PTBatcherGui bundle for MacOSX.
I'm now back from holidays which means that it is at least for me a good
time to start this thread.

*Off topic: I'm still without mac and after 3½ weeks on Ubuntu linux again
(not mentioning my webserver and using it within virtualbox on my mac) I'm
still not sure whether I will buy a new Mac. For the absolute ease of use,
"connect whatever you want and it works" and great software like the OS
itself and iLife: absolutely! The fact that I can buy 2-3 pc laptops for one
macbook makes me hesitate. Not for the money itself (I have a nice job with
a nice salary), but whether it's worth the money: Why buy an expensive mac
if I can do exactly what I want (maybe not exactly how I want it) with a
much cheaper laptop. But I'm also still very much tempted so probably I will
convince myself that I can't do without.*

To come back to building a Hugin bundle: Hugin 0.8.0 has just been released
and Ippei was able to create (again) a bundle for MacOSX. So, currently
there is no big hurry, which makes it a perfect time to "practice".

I've seen a couple of reactions to my original mail <
http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx/t/1a21c7299ee4c17> and some other
posts in some other threads. I would like to use this thread as a single
posting thread for getting new builders up to standard and to get the status
where the current volunteers have succeeded or have stranded. We also might
improve the wiki and expand it with some Q&A's and/or "lessons learned".

When we talk about a bundle we talk about the way of building as described
in "Build a MacOSX Universal Hugin bundle with
Xcode<http://wiki.panotools.org/Build_a_MacOSX_Universal_Hugin_bundle_with_Xcode>
".
This means:

   - XCode build (no cmake, no Macports or Fink except for some basic build
   tools).
   - Universal 2-architecture 32bit initially, e.g. ppc/i386. The brave can
   immediately start with 32/64 bit 4-archticture build, but I would not advise
   so. It creates extra difficulties and you absolutely need Leopard to build
   64bit. Furthermore: only enfuse and enblend currently really benefit from
   64bit and only on (very) large projects.
   - With or without Ippei's SDK: The SDK makes life much simpler. Going all
   the way yourself like described in the wiki makes you a better builder with
   better understanding of the process. It also allows you to adapt easier to
   changes which will certainly occur when new developments will start again.

Not required but my advise: Let's start with the released hugin-0.8.0
tarball<http://sourceforge.net/projects/hugin/files/hugin/hugin-0.8.0/hugin-0.8.0.tar.gz/download>.
It is for everyone the same, still very much up-to-date, there are no new
SVN changes/developments which might cripple the build and which I can't
solve right now (if I ever could), and it's functionality and flaws are
(more or less) known.

Please react to this thread if you want "to boldly go where no man has gone
before."

Hoi,
Harry