On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 20:21 -0400, Yuval Levy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hugin-PTX has this great feeling about it. It is a unique mix of
> developers and users. In a single place we get creative artist's ideas
> and discussion; user support requests; and developers communication down
> to very technical details.
>
> It makes it easy to stay on top of things about Hugin, Libpano, Enblend,
> Panini, and related tools; but at times the volume can become
> overwhelming - and I take a big chunk of the blame for this ;-)
<snip>
> I believe much of the developers communication is of public interest -
> or at least of interest for those who want to contribute. And being
> informed helps.

Agreed, most developer conversions should be held in a publicly
accessible list.

> Another thing about mailing lists are notifications: we have
> notification mailing lists for repository commits (at least SVN - I'm
> still looking at how to implement this on Mercurial in Sourceforge); and
> notifications from the bug/patch/feature trackers. Few people are aware
> of them - and I realized a few weeks ago that this can be critical,
> especially for developers. One of our GSoC students was not aware of a
> change that was relevant for his project.

hugin-ptx is the only list linked to on hugin.sourceforge.net, and
sourceforge makes the lists it hosts difficult to find. Could all the
lists be listed there and at sourceforge.net/projects/hugin/?

To encourage public conversations I think the reply-to address on
hugin-cvs (and other notification lists) should be hugin-ptx rather then
the commiter's sourceforge address. A few emails quoting bits of a
commit message posted to hugin-ptx will bring more attention to
hugin-cvs and more public developer talk.

> In an off-list discussion with Bruno we considered different options.
>
> * A single developers mailing list that includes all the notifications,
> like [VLC devel] (used by the VideoLAN developers).

I don't like this approach. I subscribe to hugin-cvs and hugin-ptx, but
only use the RSS feeds for the trackers. The volume of traffic is high,
and forcing people who want some development talk to receive svn commits
and tracker updates in their inbox as well can only make the volume
greater.

> * Separation of developers talk from automatic notifications, but with
> automatic notifications form all the related projects going to a single
> mailing list. This means summarizing [hugin-cvs], [hugin-tracker],
> [panotools-cvs] and the likes into a single mailing list, ideally one
> with a better user interface than SourceForge that makes it very
> difficult to find out where to subscribe and that insist to present
> mailing list as (yuk!) forums

Would the individual lists for automatic notifications still be
available when there is a combined list?

<snip>
> Since this would change the dynamics in the community, I would like to
> know how people here feel about it. Would the developers be inclined to
> join a dev-talk mailing list? and to subscribe to a single list with all
> automatic notifications? How would the translators, users feel about this?
>
> What is *your* opinion about having three mailing lists, one for the
> community at large; one for developers talk; and one for automated
> notifications?

As a developer I would join a dev-talk list if it were created, but I'm
happy to continue discussing developmental matters here. It's really up
to people who would classify themselves as users or translators to
decide if they consider development chatter as signal or noise.

-James