Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

> I would of course subscribe to -dev, and read it. I suspect that most
> developers are probably happy with the current situation. Taking the low
> level dev talk of the main list will probably mostly affect the users on
> the main list.

My opinion, too. I think it is the presence of the developers what makes
the list so attractive.

I use threaded view in thunderbird to keep track of what interests me.
This is a very convenient way of reading high traffic lists. Since
threaded view does it's magic in thunderbird for usenet newsgroups only
I use news.gmane.org as a nntp server pointing to nntp://gmane.comp.misc.ptx

Details on how to use and improve thunderbird for nntp reading on
http://wiki.panotools.org/PanoTools:Newsreader
(some extensions may be outdated for recent thunderbird - I hope I find
the time to update the page soon)

Of course you can use any other nntp reader...

best regards
--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de