Hi Yuv,

2009/10/7 Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch>:

> Hi Lukáš,
>
> Lukáš Jirkovský wrote:
>> What I think may be quite nice way to store necessary data is the XML.
>
> this has been discussed before. The result was that some people favor
> the Makefile, others would favor the XML (me included).

I didn't know that.

> The next logical step, rather than discussing this to death once again,
> would be to branch out a development codeline and start playing with
> your ideas (which I support). Add an XML library. Output some mockup XML
> from it. Show what you mean. Discuss on that basis.

Yep, I can try it. There are some libraries which are fairly easy to
use like expatpp. I've never tried that one but I've worked with expat
several years ago. It's not very C++ friendly but it's not that hard
to use.

> I think your analysis is right and that XML has advantages; and if done
> properly an XML to Makefile is also possible. Another possibility would
> be YAML. Have you considered it?
>
> Regarding parser, aren't there libraries around that we can re-use?

There's expat which is quite common. Probably every linux distro out
there has it installed (it's dependency of eg. freetype2 or exiv2) so
it would bring some obscure dependencies. Unfortunately it's not C++
library so it's not that comfortable. For C++ there are Xerces-C++,
expatpp SAX-C++ and probably many others.

> Backward-compatibility is a non-issue IMO. The Makefile is always
> reproducible from the PTO file. Unless I am misunderstanding you
> completely and your plan is to replace the PTO file with an XML file? if
> you plan to replace the PTO with XML, we'll need a PTO2XML utility to
> convert older project to the new format, and maybe keep support for PTO

I don't want to replace .pto files.

> Maybe you want to wait for Layout integration before branching out.

That's not a bad idea.

> Am I assuming correctly that the integration of Deghosting has worked well?

Fortunately it does. Or at least there's no one complaining about it.

2009/10/8 Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch>:

> Bruno Postle wrote:
>> Isn't there enough stuff that really needs fixing in Hugin?
>
> yes there is. but the topic seems to itch Lukáš. Other topics may not be
> of interest to him.

Take it as an exercise in text processing and XML. I've never wrote
something like that (except from simple processor of OBEX output).

>> What can you do with XML that we can't already do with the current
>> .pto format?
>
> it's extensible without conflicts, and already that is a bonus. I'd like
> to add plenty of information to the project file, such as GPS
> coordinates, comments, RAW conversion settings, other workflow
> consideration, region of interest coordinates, tags, etc.

It has potential.

> But I have not seen Lukáš mentioning any change to the PTO file format
> or the project file. Or am I misunderstanding?

Nope. XML could be used to store additional data but tit still should
be possible to create XML from pto.

>> Abandoning 'make' is a mistake
>
> Has anybody mentioned *abandoning*? XML usually comes in as an
> *additional* layer, not as a replacement. And it is a *descriptive*
> language, not a procedural one. It just makes some things more explicit,
> trading off readability for a little bit of disk space and processing time.

In fact I did. Let me explain it why. The limitation of make is IMO
it's "power". Make reserves too many constructs and characters for
it's internal use so it's matter of time when someone hits some of
them. I've spent several hours to force make accept = in target name
(see bug 2813663). It seems that there's none. My only idea is to name
the target some "normal" name like final_stitch and do mv as last
step.

> To my understanding XML2Make would still generate Makefiles. It could
> catch many of the hard edges that are currently causing errors and that
> give make a worse reputation (in the context of Hugin) than it deserve.

If it would work this way we couldn't get rid of problems like the one
mentioned above.