On 7 okt, 23:26, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> Bart van Andel wrote:
> >> It is like letting people tilt beyond nadir/zenith when navigating a
> >> 360x180 - fine for the expert who knows what he is doing, but not
> >> helpful for the occasional user.
>
> > I don't understand this point. My guess is that it's actually expected
> > behaviour to automatically flip the coordinates, since this is what
> > happens in any image editor when using the rectangular select tool.
>
> it's expected behavior for advanced users who do gimmicks. it is not
> natural behavior and it is not intuitive (or have you ever seen somebody
> able to cut a negative shape with a scissor?) it is confusing. it has no
> useful purpose. learn to drag the proper side to obtain the desired
> effect. In fact, what I would expect when flipping coordinates is that
> the image also gets flipped (more logical than just swapping borders).

I object to this. Do you always select text you want to copy from
start to end? I know I don't. Same with image editing. If I want to
select a rectangle, I just click one of the desired corners and drag
to the opposite desired corner. Sometimes the lower bottom coordinate
is more obvious to select (example: it's a sharp corner of a building
while the other corners are less obvious for cropping) than the top
left coordinate which makes it easier to start dragging there. I'm
seriously annoyed by applications which don't allow you to do this. To
me, being able to select a rectangle any way I want is usability. Also
when zoomed in (I know this does not apply to Hugin currently, but it
might in the future?) you wouldn't always zoom in on the top left
corner first.

Of course if you don't like this behaviour, it could become another
preference.

> > Anyway, instead of a pop up error message box, couldn't we change the
> > color of the text box (into red for example) and add an exclamation
> > mark in front with a tooltip text when entering too high / too low
> > values? Just a suggestion, I reckon it's a matter of taste, but this
> > way it's less obtrusive and will require one click less.
>
> this is only on the stitcher tab, not on the dragging tool in the fast
> preview. that tab need a complete overhaul.
>
> that said, it is not a matter of taste or aesthetics, it's a matter of
> *usability*. change the color of the text box is ok for a warning but
> not for what will cause the application to fail. a pop up, saying loud,
> clear, and ugly that the user has entered an illegal value will teach
> them very quickly not to repeat the same mistake.
>
> the fireplace also does not show a nice and less obtrusive background
> when a kid sticks the finger where he should not.

Well Hugin is not a fireplace, fortunately ;).
I'd rather have the error message only when trying to switch to
another tab for instance while the crop values are invalid, One might
want to enter new values in all the fields (using the Tab key for
instance), which could lead to a situation that halfway entering the
four values, the combination is invalid, but after all values are
entered the result would be right. In my opinion the usability is
higher if there are less obtrusive messages blocking my preferred way
of entering values. I don't want to be worried by the order in which I
enter them.

> usability before embellishment, not the other way around!

Yes, however usability is not universal: different users like
different approaches. Apparently I'm used to other ways of using (for
instance) image editors than you are.

--
Bart