> - It's a royal pain in the neck to build hugin for Windows (far worse
> than for Linux, it seems)

What's so complicated?
The most necessary libraries can be downloaded in pre-compiled form in
the SDK (http://wiki.panotools.org/Build_Hugin_for_Windows_with_SDK).
What's missing for current hugin version is glut. A precompiled glut
library for hugin can found here (http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-
ptx/msg/5bfc12ee00c5ac3c)
Download both packages and unzip a new folder. Then follow the
instruction on the wiki (skip the step of compiling enblend, for
enblend there are more libraries necessary. For a first try you can
use the precompiled version from sourceforge):
Run CMake -> open hugin.sln -> compile -> install (-> maybe build
installer)
I find that's very easy.

>1. It follows the development cycle most hugin developers seem to use
The cmake build works fine on windows. It's also up to date.

>2. Anybody can install cygwin, for free. I hear it's even possible to
>set up a mingw32 cross-compiler on linux
Anybody can also install the Visual C++ Express Edition, this works.
(see wiki instructions).

>3. The "One Makefile to rule them all" I developed is a first step
> toward automated building/testing/packaging

There are also some version of the automated cmake-build and installer
creation on the list (e.g.
http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx/msg/b3aff5888a9a2b87).
Why invent the wheel twice? It would be better to bundle the force for
one working version and not to split into several different ways to
get the similar results.

Thomas