Hi

If OpenSurf is legitimately GPL there cannot be a patent problem with
SURF.  So why not use it?  It is the fastest interest point algorithm
I know of, and almost if not just as good as SIFT.   Both do their job
excellently and I can't see much likelihood of Pablo -- or anyone else
-- inventing something different that works equally well.  Anything is
possible, of course, but....

Assume for the moment that Pablo discovers something better than SIFT
and SURF for identifying potentially matchable image points.  Does
that mean the problem of control point finding is solved?  If you said
'yes', or even 'maybe', go stitch some panoramas and come back in a
year.  The fact is that all our CP finders -- even the ones that use
SIFT and SURF -- work poorly (and far too slow).  They all proceed
about as follows:
1] For each image, find many unique-looking interest points (IPs) --
the SIFT/SURF part.
2] For each (feasible) pair of images,  find pairs of similar looking
interest points, store those as candidate CPs
3] For various subsets of images, weed out candidate CPs whose IP
coordinates are incompatible with a consistent physical alignment of
the images, and/or have undesirable properties like being in sky or
too close to better CPs.
4] Output the surviving CPs.

The real action is in step 3], which has nothing to do with how the
IPs were found, though of course it will be more
successful given better IPs.  That is where we really  need new
strategies and better algorithms.

Or, to really think big, perhaps it would pay to abandon this blind
one-way sifting procedure in favor of a more intelligent, goal-seeking
algorithm.  The goal is to align the images.  The evidence includes
whatever the photographer knows about the correct alignment (normally
quite a lot) together with the contents of the images themselves.  The
route to the goal would be to form and test hypotheses about which
parts of which images match under what transformations (meaning
projection onto the sphere followed by rotations of the sphere).  The
tests would involve looking for matching IPs in candidate regions.

Yes, that makes CP finding an integral part of the image alignment
procedure, including optimization.  Which is where it belongs.
Although more complex, I believe this way of doing it could be both
faster and more robust than the way we do it now.

Best, Tom