On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 00:57 +0100, Darko Makreshanski wrote:
> Yes, the equirectangular would be most suitable to convert to a 3D mesh.
> Basically I was thinking of projecting all of the images separately,
> each with its center as the center of projection. Then to convert each
> projection into a 3D mesh, and finally join the meshes based on the yaw,
> pitch, roll parameters. This would be to avoid any problems with the
> poles, however I am not sure if it would be necessary.

Have you thought about how the z-order of the images would work in the
outside sphere view?

The overlapping images in Hugin eventually get merged with enblend. In
the previews they are just drawn over the top of each other for speed.

In a 3D sphere, the images will still overlap. If you continue to draw
them over the top of each other, bits of the images on the back half of
the sphere may be drawn over the front of the sphere.

I don't think you could use OpenGL's depth buffer and depth test
directly, because the overlapping images would z-fight.

-James