> The only logical explanation I could think of, which is consistent with the
> result in the preview, is that the images with non zero x,y,z parameters are
> represented on a sphere with a shifted center, however the projection is
> still done from the original center.
> This actually could also be represented in the overview, in which case the
> overview would no longer be a sphere but rather images projected on spheres
> with different centers.

If I undestood it correctly it's like you just explained for XYZ. It
should create several panospheres with shifted center. The projection
camera is moved to the point from which images has good overlap. The
problem (which affects mainly end user) is that there is only one
camera position for which the overlap is good. In other words – if you
create panorama using XYZ you can't move camera at all (there may be
some case in which it doesn't matter).

The Tr parameters Dev Ghosh proposed does it in a bit different way.
It creates one panosphere but the images are not placed directly on
the sphere as a tangential plane but rather image is a bit rotated (so
it's not more tangent plane). I've no idea how Tr could affect
projections and the preview window

Lukas