On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter <
gerh...@killesreiter.de> wrote:

> Gerry Patterson schrieb:
>
> > Here <http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx/web/cactus.jpg> is
> > what I was able to come up with.
>
> That looks pretty good to me!
>
> Thanks a lot for spending that much time with my pics.
>
> >    1. loaded the images into hugin and created some (3 or 4) control
> points
> >    manually
>
> Ok, I think I understand this.
>
> >    2. optimized for positions and XYZ
>
> and that.
>
> >    3. checked the "remapped" images under normal and started the stitch
>
> Could I get more explanation here?

In the stitcher tab under the "Output" Section, there are three columns
labelled: Normal, Exposure Fusion, HDR Merging.  Under the "Normal" column,
I unchecked "Blended panorama" and checked "Remapped Images". This causes
Hugin to only create the remapped images and not attempt to seam blend them
into a single image.

> >    4. I then loaded the images as layers in GIMP and masked in the flower
>
> And here? Especially how you create the mask.

In GIMP, one can loaded multiple images into a single image by selecting
"open as layers".  Next, you can create a layer mask by selecting the upper
layer and "add layer mask".  I opted to have the image with the flower in
focus as the top layer and when I created the layer mask, set the mask to
100% transparent.  Then when I painted on the mask with a fuzzy brush, I
could "paint in" the sharper flower over top of the fuzzy one.  Once done, I
flattened the image to a single layer

I would do a google search on layer masking or editing with layers using the
GIMP.  I am sure there are a few tutorials that are out there that are
better at describing this than me.

Best Regards,

- Gerry