Now it seems that Tom and I got in each others way.

Now I removed my hg hugin trunk and did again a:
'hg clone http://hugin.hg.sourceforge.net:8000/hgroot/hugin/hugin hugin'

I cd-ed into hugin and to be sure I did a
 'hg pull'
then I changed (with vi) in "src/hugin_config.h.in.cmake" the comment:
/* this is a hg checkout, tag is as such
 * all builds from HG will be considered development versions
 */
(was SVN, changed to hg). This seemed a safe change to me.
Then I did a:
hg commit -m "\"translate\" SVN to hg in hugin_config.h.in.cmake"

and then:
hg push ssh://harryvanderw...@hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgroot/hugin/hugin

and then I got:
The authenticity of host 'hugin.hg.sourceforge.net (216.34.181.121)' can't
be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 86:7b:1b:12:85:35:8a:b7:98:b6:d2:97:5e:96:58:1d.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
harryvanderw...@hugin.hg.sourceforge.net's password:
remote: Warning: Permanently added 'hugin.hg.sourceforge.net' (RSA) to the
list of known hosts.
pushing to ssh://harryvanderw...@hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgroot/hugin/hugin
searching for changes
*abort: push creates new remote heads!
(did you forget to merge? use push -f to force)
*
Now only the last 2 lines matter. The first seven lines are obvious.
So I checked the website and it turns out that Thomas did a push at the same
time I did my changes.

So I did a
'hg merge'
and then a
'hg commit'
as hg told me to do so:
Then I did again the
hg push ssh://harryvanderw...@hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgroot/hugin/hugin

Now I now have the idea that I redid/recommitted Thomas changes.

Can anybody explain whether this is correct behavior or what I did wrong?
And how we should handle this in the future?

Harry