On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 22:51:06 -0500, Yuval Levy wrote:

> On November 10, 2010 10:19:35 pm Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> One more panorama from the trip last month:
>> http://rlk.smugmug.com/Other/Landscapes/4851912_oeCNm#1086043156_p4b23
>
> nice work, thanks for sharing.

Thanks.

>> Hugin kept giving me FOV estimates of between 87 and 95 degrees HFOV
>
> don't worry, as long as it is < 360° (i.e. fits on the panosphere)
> for partial (non 360° panos) accuracy of estimated HFOV is much less
> important than the visual result.

That's good to know (this is referring to the lens HFOV -- the overall
pano HFOV was getting estimated anywhere between 270 and 355 degrees).

>> The amount of error was truly extreme -- the worst CP was about 85
>> units off and the average was 8 units.  However, there were only a
>> couple of bad seams when I actually stitched it together, and they
>> were all in locations that were fairly easy to fix.  Interestingly,
>> when I added more CPs, the worst error went down to 70, but there
>> were more seams.  I guess the thing to worry about is what happens
>> when it's stitched, not what the optimization results are (Yuv, I
>> guess that's what you were telling me :-) ).
>
> yep, you guess right!  in this particular case, parallax affects the
> lower 1/3 of the image more than the top 2/3.  If I was to add CPs
> manually, I would only put them on the far away mountains and maybe
> on the far away trees.  The CP generator does not know this.  It
> does not have a sense for depth, and it does not know that CPs at
> infinity suffer much less from parallax than CPs in proximity of the
> camera's viewpoint.

Interesting.  When I added more CPs to get a broader distribution, I
got lower error numbers and narrower seam errors but more seams -- and
in more difficult locations.  I particularly tried to add CPs far
away, but they didn't help.  I got the best results by simply killing
the obvious bad CPs and relying on the auto points.

> points in the lower 1/3 will have higher error.  the
> cleaning/pruning function of CPs in Hugin may or may not catch them
> - depending on where the majority of the points are found.  running
> it multiple times (i.e. clicking the button multiple times) may help
> or may make things worse.
>
> the random/regular pattern on the surface of the rock makes it very
> easy to deal with bad seams in your favorite image editor.

Yup.  The harder part was where the seams crossed the cracks in the
rock.  I can't even tell where the seams are on the surface of the
rock.  If the bad seams crossed through trees it would have been much
harder.

Fortunately I didn't wind up with a seam crossing my shadow.

This is all definitely a lot of fun.  I probably won't be doing a lot
more panos this year