On 12 Dez., 14:31, Matthew Gates <matthew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have data for a full sky astronomical catalog which is comprised or
> a large number of 256x256 jpeg images.
>
> There is about 50 gig of data in total, at multiple resolutions.
>
> I don't want to make a panorama, but I do want to modify the image
> tiles so that blend together more smoothly than they currently do.
>
> Can hugin and/or related tools help with this?

I supoose so. It seems to me that you should be able to warp the
individual images with nona so that they all fit together nicely. If
you want them all to fit together - so that they could theoretically
be stitched into a panorama - you have to first make up your mind what
projection to use. I think popular choices for the whole sky are
stereographic and fisheye projection. Do you have stellarium?

http://www.stellarium.org

 (You may not even want to use your astronomical catalog once you have
it ;-) - there you can have a look at different projections and pick
one you like. Then you'd have to position the images in the output
space. Since they are astronomic images, I suppose you'll have
declination, rectascension and field of view for each of them. A bit
of a dicey issue is lens distortion, though - if your images are
photographs after all. You can only work that one out if you have
reference images for every used resolution. Then you try and match as
many stars on the reference with stars on an image - preferably in a
well-poulated area of the sky, on evenly distributed stars, and
optimize for v, a, b and c. You can create these reference images with
stellarium by doing screen shots when you have the area in question in
view. See also

http://www.johnhpanos.com/starcal.htm

One problem remains, and that is that you can't map a spherical
surface (the sky) to the plane without intoducing distortions
somewhere. So if you want all the tiles to fit smoothly, some of them
will be so warped you won't recognize anything on them (just look at
an equirect's poles). So maybe you'd be better off picking sizeable,
but not too big patches of the sky (like, 15 by 15 degrees) and making
the images inside these patches fit nicely, but leave it at that.

with regards
Kay