On 16 Dez., 18:49, Matthew Gates <matthew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 December 2010 22:48, kfj <_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, we have tarballs with the original plate jpegs split into small
> chunks.  That's how the data arrived to us after some processing by
> another   The tarballs contain sub-directories x1 x2 x4 etc.  x1 is
> the highest res.  Don't worry about the rest of the directories, they
> are just lower resolution version of the same data.

Okay, I had a first look at the tar ball you linked to. If I interpret
the data correctly, x64 is the lowest resolution and shows the
complete plate, and the other directories offer tiles at various
resolutions, with the highest resolution images contained in x1, where
there are 64*64 =4096 images. The data don't look to me as if they
were suffering from significant vignetting. The background of the
image has a slight reddish tint towards the center in the order of
magnitude of 10 (out of 256), but I don't think that would translate
into such a visible effect as can be seen on your sample stitch image.
So I'm a bit puzzled - is this maybe just one plate where the problem
we're trying to tackle isn't so visible? At any rate, to get an idea
of the overall quality of the data, it would be useful to have a set
of x64 plate images, covering an area of - or even better, the whole
sky. If you have the data uncompressed somewhere you could just lump
them together with a command like (including the appropriate metadata)

tar cvf x64.tar S*/x64/*.jpg S*/x64/*.hhh

The resulting tar file would be smaller than one of the pyramids,
since it would only contain 1792 images, one for each tar ball.
My reasoning here is that any vignette-like effect would be perfectly
visible on the x64 image, the higher-res tiles would not offer too
much extra information for the purpose at hand. The 1792 images at the
lowest resolution would offer an idea of the overall problem and need
for processing and, therefore, be more useful than an arbitrary
pyramid with all resolutions - I suppose the x64 image is nothing but
a compressed composite of the higher-res tiles anyway.

The tiles come with a cornucopia of metadata, most of which exceed my
admittedly narrow astronomic horizon - what I seem to have gleaned,
though, is that the projection is gnomonic and localization of the
individual images should be easy straight from the metadata. What I
need for a trial stitch in hugin (from which we might be able to
derive the vignetting data) is translation of the astronomical
nomenclature in the hhh files into hugin's system. Hugin uses a notion
of roll, pitch and yaw. I suspect roll will be zero for the images,
pitch would refer to the center of the image and be in degrees from
the equator and yaw to the center of the image in degrees from any
reference point on the equator you care for, maybe you could point me
to which of the metadata to touch for the purpose and how to translate
them, if necessary. I suspect the relevant data are in the 'Hour
Angle' and 'Zenith distance' data fields in the hhh file, hour angle
could be translated straight into yaw, and Zenith distance would be
pitch + 90 degrees? I could then extract them from the hhh files.
Alternatively, put small files with the images containing roll, pitch
and yaw in degrees - then I wouldn't have to do the extraction
myself ;-)

> The x64 directories in the .tgz files might be useful here, as they
> are full-plate at low res.  We could maybe extract these, experiment
> with blending and even stitch them together into a panorama to check
> it.  1792 300x300 tiles isn't so bad.
>
> I can do the extraction of this data on the server and create a single
> archive file which should be a manageable size.

Sounds very good; I fully agree, hope to see the data soon!

with regards
Kay