On 14 Dez., 17:00, Matthew Gates <matthew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >http://www.stellarium.org
>
> Yes, I'm a developer on the project  :-)

Ha! Pleased to meet you. So I don't have to convince you of
stellarium's merits. Thanks for the nice software!

> The images in question make
> up part of a full sky survey which we are trying to add to the
> program.  The problem is that there are visible edged between tiles:
>
> http://porpoisehead.net/images/dss_blend_needed.jpg

Okay, I see now. What sort of distortion is that? It looks like the
tiles were brighter towards one corner, with some colour variation
from blue to reddish thrown in. Hugin's notion of brightness
variations are that they are a function of radial distance from a
point, so it can deal with vignetting, but the data at hand look like
as if there's maybe also a gradient on them, which hugin couldn't deal
with. Mind you, if it can be conceived of as vignetting, it should be
possible, and it doesn't matter if the vignetting is off-center. As
far as the chromatic variations are concerned, I'm more pessimistic.

> This image shows some of the Northern hemisphere with tiles we have
> imported so far.  These are only the lowest resolution tiles... as one
> zooms in, higher resolution tiles are loaded (several per visible tile
> at this lowest resolution.  This is somehow similar to how projects
> like OpenStreetMap have multires image sets).

... or Microsft's HD View.

Are the images in a place where one could access them, to have a more
in-depth view - and also at the metadata to see how feasible it would
be to take them in en masse and run them through some batch job? If I
could get my hands on some of them, I'd gladly see what I can do to
help you.

> So many I could have been clearer:  I want to feed in pre-distorted
> images and get them out with only the color and brightness blending
> done.

No problem. Not needing to warp them should make it easier.

with regards
Kay