Okay, third one in a row. With a bit more guesswork I've managed to
stitch a reasonable product. this looks fine without any vignetting
correction, which fits well with my initial judgement that the slight
background brightness variations should be hardly noticable in the
output. I have a suspicion about the source of your brightness
variations. I suspect you have not masked out the bright spots that
occur in one corner of every plate. These are often white, sometimes
orange, sometimes mulicoloured, and it is seemingly arbitrary in which
corner they occur. I did a trial stitch where I did not mask them out
and the result looked quite like

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://porpoisehead.net/images/dss_blend_needed.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEp9PMwvLRVsiuPw76sGDXRLE9AUw

When I did mask the bright corners out (manually did that for 100
images around the N pole, where is N001, anyway?) the brightness
fluctuations were gone.
Please doublecheck if this is maybe the cause of your problem. Keep in
mind that a multi-resolution blender (like enblend) will produce the
seeming 'bleeding' of bright areas to surrounding areas, so their
effect extends beyond the extent of the bright area.

with regards
Kay