Hi Steve,
I am on 10.6.6 now.    I updated my Mac a few months ago after my
venerable PowerMac G5 machine had a fatal hardware problem.

I am a bit puzzled as to which machine you are running.  You say "G5
Core 2 Duo" but "G5",  normally applies to PowerMac (or iMac) models
using a PowerPC processor and "Core 2 Duo" is usually applied to Intel
based machines such as the "Mac Pro" (or recent iMacs).

I understand your frustrations.  When I was using the PowerMac G5 I
did sometimes have to struggle with being in a dwindling minority
where there were fewer and fewer of us to find the quirks that applied
to our architecture.

George