On 11 Aug., 15:09, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> On August 11, 2011 05:17:41 am kfj wrote:

> > To put it very bluntly: It's a techies' show.
>
> Scary thought.  I prefer to see it as a time-share.  It is time for the
> techies to drive now, and for the rest of us to take a back seat.

What I mean is: it's the 'techies' who write the program. The others
test, use, discuss, like, dislike it.

> > > Kay's current proposal, from an end-user point of view, is STATUS QUO.
> > >  Not better not worse.  Simply unchanged.  It is user friendliness for
> > > the users of the codebase, i.e. the developers.
>
> > I beg to differ. I hope it will be better, because it should be faster
> > and crash less.
>
> Will you deliver?  I rather under-promise and over-deliver than the other way
> around.

I feel this is an unfair and suggestive question. I am not intending
to do this alone, and I don't know if it will succeed. I'm certainly
not putting myself in a situation where I might have to 'deliver'
something. I may contribute. I hope my arguments are sound enough to
get a few people on board. If not, hugin can just carry on as it is,
but I may loose interest in it's development because there's too much
effort involved to achieve too little.

I'm not a GUI person - the only GUI code I ever handled was when I
reverse-engineered a GUI library that was in use on some obsolete
system which was ported to a UNIX network. All I did was analyze the
code and write the cross-compiler to translate all calls to use the
new GUI library.

I'm interested in the part that I've already been working on, mainly
the data-carrying backend, some maths and the integration of
collateral code. My interests are C++, python and computer language
design, with a smattering of automatic code generation, data bases,
DSP and image processing thrown in. And I suppose I have a reasonably
good understanding of overall software design.

So here you have my under-promise.

> > I know nothing of the design concepts and implementation
> > strategy behind hugin's GUI, but maybe someone from that end can
> > comment? Like point me to a technical outline?
>
> http://ippei.wordpress.com/2007/05/30/the-tasks/http://ippei.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/categorising-the-header-files/http://ippei.wordpress.com/2007/06/04/progress-4th-june-run-out-of-cr...
> titles/

etc. etc.

I did not find these links helpful. I was hoping for a 'proper' paper.
Presentations is what you project on the wall while you give a
lecture. I'd rather have the lecture than the presentation. But that
you should have come up with these links sheds a light on the state of
affairs. Is this what we have when it comes to cenceptual work and
documentation?

> If we structure the code well enough, we can make it as GUI-toolkit-agnostic
> as possible.  Do you have a favorite GUI-toolkit?

I don't, since I don't know them well enough to make intelligent
comments on them. I suppose it's wise to stick with as many components
we are already familiar with as possible - unless there's a good
reason not to. Porting stuff to another library would be more
difficult than just change the interface.

> Isn't it you the shadow I see in the driver's seat of the bus I am sitting
> in?
> Or should I worry and get off at the next stop?

I'm not buying the bus analogy. What I have experienced in this
discussion is that apart from you who seems to think a rewrite is a
good idea the most enthusiastic response has been Harry's 'I'm the
last to try to stop it.' If it turns out to be just me (once you're
off again) it won't happen. I may do a bit of tinkering on my own if I
have time, but I'll certainly not push it.

> > codename munin
>
> http://munin-monitoring.org/

so what?

http://www.hugin.com/

I suppose Munin/Muninn is a given name, so there's nothing stopping us
from using it. If the need arises we can always make it MUNIN and have
a contest here for the best suggestion what the acronym stands for ;-)

> The power is not in the tool.  The power is in the people.  In how we
> structure ourselves, empower each other, learn from each other, encourage
> (sometimes prod) each other to progress, try new things, and move forward to
> where Hugin has never been before.  And in how we comfort each other when
> things crash, as they sometimes do.

yes.

> Do you want to set up a project on Github?  I know you don't like
> SourceForge.  It's a historical given.  Launchpad is great for tracking
> tickets (and being able to add attachment up to 100MB and answer by email
> helps a lot), but I don't like bzr.  We could also try tracking on Github as
> well and see how it goes?

I'm not sure if we're there yet, and I feel I'm not competent to make
the choice. What's wrong with mercurial? I thought you were all for
it. Since it'd be a FOSS project, we might have the repository hosted
with bitbucket. Anything wrong with that? I think we need something
for brainstorming and structuring. Any suggestions?

Kay