Hi Calvin,

Calvin McDonald schrieb am 30.03.12 21:32:
Just wanted to ask the group if the Hugin behavior I'm seeing is
expected and if not, get some feedback on workarounds for the problems
I'm having.

Here's the configuration: 3x12+1N+1Z - all but the nadir are stacks of 7
exposure bracketed shots (total 260 images). Each stack of 7 is position
Linked. There is just one nadir shot - which is properly exposed. The
CP's are inserted only between the middle image of the 7 in each stack.
The exposure fusing is working nicely in general and I'm getting a
really good stitch alignment-wise, but, I'm having unusual problems with
the nadir and zenith.

ZENITH:
Below is a pic of the zenith. I've never seen this before. Why is Hugin
doing this and what can I do to fix it?

This is an enblend problem, the panotools wiki has a tutorial that deals with it:
http://wiki.panotools.org/How_to_remove_blending_error_caused_by_enblend_and_enfuse_at_zenith_and_nadir_%28automatic%29

Another option could be to force hugin to use the "sky" parts of your zenith shot with an "include" mask. And since you're using stacks you should define the mask to include every other image in the same stack (there's a drop down list for that in the mask tab).

NADIR:
Several of the 12 groups of 7 images of the bottom row include the feet
of my tripod. This is very typical for me and I've never had Hugin not
remove them for me with no intervention when including and blending in
the nadir. This is the first time I've done exposure stacks on the
bottom row. For some reason Hugin is leaving in the tripod feet. I've
included an image of this below.

So I went in and masked them out. But this makes Hugin crash.

Can you reproduce that crash and is there an error message? Consider filing a bug report together with a detailed description of what leads to that crash.

I note that when cropping, Hugin will allow multiple images to be
cropped at once, but when masking, it will only allow one image
selection at a time. When I masked the tripod feet out I had to do it
one image at a time. To save time I only masked the images with
exposures close to correct. So of the group of 7, I only masked 3 from
each of the 12 sets. Hugin crashes when I do this. It crashes when doing
the build.

First of all there are two different types of cropping: you can crop input images (individually or with the same coordinates if you use the "load lens parameters" button in the "camera and lens" tab), but you can also crop the output image (See the "fast preview" window's "crop" tab). All images that use the same stack (manually: in "images" tab select all images of one stack and click "new stack", repeat this for all other stacks) you can now set a mask to include (or exclude) taht area in every image of the same stack.

Hugin (2011.2 and later) also lets you copy/paste masks. Before you had to save/load a mask for a similar workflow.

There's another option: tiffs (instead of e.g. jpgs as input image file format) can include masks directly in the files (as alpha masks).

If I have the stacked images Linked, does the mask affect all 7 images,
or just the one's masked? Could this be what's causing Hugin to crash?
Do I need to mask all 7? Just one? Is there a way to select all 7 and
apply a mask to all 7 at once?

Mask behaviour is defined in the "mask" tab, see above.

It should make no difference how you use masks. Both ways make sense: when you stack different exposures from the same raw file you'd usually use the same mask for every image in that stack. When you combine bracketed shots there might be e.g. a camera strap or a bird in different positions in each frame, so you'd use individual masks (or none if the bird doesn't appear in a peculiar frames).

Does that help?

Carl