Masks are recognised by both Enblend and Enfuse, so if you don't apply
your mask to all layers in a stack Enfuse may well produce a set of
intermediate images which are difficult to Enblend (and vice versa).
Enfuse doesn't really recognise "the properly exposed" layer of a
stack the way you and I do; it takes (by default) a whole bunch of
subtle parameters into account when choosing which pixel values to use
in the fused output. By including only one layer, you are forcing
Enfuse to find a solution for this stack which might be quite
different from the solution it finds for the adjacent stacks (where
all 7 layers are included) - you are in fact hindering rather than
helping Enfuse to do its thing.

When the rendering process fails before completing the task, the log
file *should* be automatically saved (as output_prefix.txt) in the
project directory. If - for some reason - you don't keep your input,
intermediate, output and PTO files in the same directory ... try
looking in whatever you specified as output directory first, then try
the temp directory, then the input directory. If the process
terminates prematurely without saving the log file, I would say you've
definitely found a bug.

To hide all traces of your tripod, using one *include* mask on the
nadir stack is much less laborious than making a dozen *exclude*
masks :-)

I'm very disappointed to hear that the zenith stack include mask
didn't work ... in theory this should be an extremely elegant
workaround for Enblend's inability to read across the poles :-(

best,
John