> > ... I tried again, and it worked beautifully.

Yay! Thank you Carl and Calvin for confirming that this works ( saves
me testing it! ). IMHO the "zenith and nadir include masks" method
would be a useful addition to the Hugin documentation and/or Bruno's
tutorials for full-sphere panos.

> > ... Is there a way to direct it [ Enfuse ] to pick a darker exposure?

I'm still trying to get my head around Enfuse parameters ... but two
things I've found that may be of some use :

1. The " --exposure-mu=0.5 " argument is a bit like exposure
compensation (for midtones, at least). By default Enfuse uses 0.5,
which sets the RGB value bias to the middle of the range
(128.128.128). Using "--exposure-mu=0.4" seems to darken the output by
maybe 1 EV. However, the exposure-mu scale is not linear, so " --
exposure-mu=0.3" seems to darken everything a bit too much in my
tests. Exposure-mu bias has little effect on "extreme" shadows and
highlights, so it might not pull in your sky-blue tones as much as you
would like.

2. I've only tested this on stacks with 3 layers, so you might get
something different with 7 layers! ... If the input layers are only,
say, 1 EV apart, the overall contrast of the enfused output is very
similar to the original photos - ie quite strong highlight and shadow
in my dusk landscapes. If the layers are 2 EV or more apart, the
enfused output has noticeably less overall contrast; it seems to pull
the shadows and highlights in more - which is why I'm enfusing in the
first place ... :-) The only limit I've found with this so far is to
stop too much dark noise being sucked up from the underexposed layers.
You might try dropping one or two overexposed layers from the stacks
containing sky ... this might cause enblend problems if you over-do
it, but is probably worth a try.

Hope this helps. If you find a good solution please share !

best,
John