JohnPW wrote:

• I think Bugbear is advocating this as a nice and quick way to get the most
from a single jpeg image.

That's exactly it.

In my personal case, I went round the Rockies in Canada with a (new) Canon A590,
determined NOT to be a photography geek, but just to snap away.

But the (JPEG) images in scenes with tree lined valleys in shadows, and snow
in full sunlight made for disappointing prints, so I tried manually (in Gimp)
making dark/light versions and enfusing them, which helped a good deal.

This script is simply an automated version of what I did manually.

   BugBear