It's something like 6 years I'm trying harder and harder to get the best
results possible with panorama photography; by now I achieved significant
improvements both in experience and equipment: thanks to a robotic pano
head, now taking outside panorama is easy enough for me.
However i'm rather disappointed that despite of all, when doing interiors, *my
panoramas are still affected by small errors*.
I did calibration of my lens, i carefully placed nodal point, i personally
wrote the program that moves my robotic head, but i still have to optimize
because the head has an angle uncertainty of something around 0.1-0.2 deg.
When i use alignment through optimization of CPs, no matter how many point
i have, there are lots of small errors (example with ~9000
http://www.stareat.it/viewers/pan0.swf?panoSrc=http://www.stareat.it/img/tropicalZooPano1.jpg&tesselation=100
 )

I came to the conclusion that only two ways to overcome this, are

   1. to buy a more precise robotic head and avoid alignment through
   optimization of CPs at all
   2. to do small adjustment to alignment manually, somehow

Given that i would happily avoid spending lots of money for a new head at
the moment,* I'm pretty surprised that Hugin is so much behind if we speak
of preview/manual alignment*.

Now: I'm a professional developer and I have a couple ideas on how to use
GPU for a nearly perfect realtime preview allowing us to do small
adjustments by hand, but i'd need the exact same formula hugin uses to
obtain consistent results.
I now I could dig into Hugin sources (and i surely will) but i was
wondering if someone more used to it could just point me/lay it down
simple, to kickstart me.

*E.g. : given a unit sphere and equirectangular projection, A and B being
the yaw and pitch angle of a generic point Ps on its surface, Ya and Pi
being yaw and pitch of center of an already corrected and placed image, X
and Y being the generic point Pi on the image, what is the exact function
that maps A, B to X, Y (taking into account all the other parameters i
didn't mention, too...).*
I mean: I'm not even sure Hugin does it always passing by equirectangular
projection, but you got the point.

In the meanwhile, if someone has other tips for me to better align my
images, advices are more than welcome...

Thanks in advance.