The idea that has been simmering on my back burner is a laser pointer plumb bob
and an electronic target having a CdS photocell wired to a circuit that
produces an audio sound that can indicate being on target and being at the same
elevation. The idea is that one could keep their eyes on the subject while
keeping their ears on the position.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/50EC155C-988C-4DC2-9CA2-5254EAFCDFED%40gmail.com.