In an almost vestigial instance of optimisation, I would like
to "mate" a pair or photographs. Both are near square, but
are not as high quality as I would wish.

In order to preserve the most quality possible, I would like
to keep one of  the images (that happens to carry more important
subject matter) untransformed, and get hugin to calculate and apply
transforms only to the second image.

It's easy to persuade hugin to transform them BOTH
so the transformed PAIR are a mutual match, but how
to I persuade hugin to come up with a transform
for one image (presumably the anchor) which is a pixel
perfect no-op (such that I'll actually use the original :-) and
the second (transformed) image can be matched to it?

 BugBear