BugBear wrote on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 at 10:08:30 +0100:
----------------

jepz11 wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:44:13 PM UTC+2, bugbear wrote:
>
>     to keep one of  the images (that happens to carry more important
>     subject matter) untransformed, and get hugin to calculate and apply
>     transforms only to the second image.
>

> Use a mask 'include region' for the whole first image?

I need the second image to be transformed such that it is a dead fit
for the unaltered first image; I have every intention of using
the source image unaltered for the first image, so it doesn't really
matter what hugin does to it. Only getting the right transform
for the second image (somehow) matters.

You tell us you don't want to transform the first image at all. Therefore, use it as the anchor, with all its parameters zero and non-optimisable.

Keep the lens parameters as imported, with, in the example I tried, just an fov and use a single lens.

Optimise the second image for yaw, pitch and roll. That superimposes the second image on the first as they sit in Hugin.

Now switch to the Stitcher tab and click Calculate optimum size (it may be possible to do so earlier, but I haven't tried). Having done that I reoptimise and normally get a bit of a shock at the greater errors announced by the optimiser now the output size is greater.

I applied the above to a couple of group photos taken from the same spot and then got Hugin to output its version of the anchor image. I found it superimposed pixel-for-pixel on the original, though with a fringe where the size did not quite match because I cropped within Hugin. In the group photos I then applied masking to select the heads I preferred (giving the same effect as using the fuse function in Microsoft Photo Gallery, if I dare mention that). But combining the images in an editor, as I think you intend, is probably the better approach. Nonetheless it may be worth outputting both images from Hugin and working with those because they will already be in register.

Trivial improvements in optimisation could be achieved by allowing other parameters to vary for the non-anchor image, but in the example I tried they had no noticeable effect on the end result.

Roger Broadie