On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:16:13 PM UTC-4, T. Modes wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2014 14:49:54 UTC+2 schrieb John Muccigrosso:
>>

>> It sounds to me like your workflow too is a big work-around for a buggy
>> masking process.
>>

> It sound for me that the issue is behind the keyboards and stems from a
> wrong assumption, and not from a buggy implementation

Wow, that's a little harsh there.

> The mask tab is not a fully fledged vector editing program with sub pixel
> accuracy. And this is not needed.
> The seams are finally placed by enblend at the end. The masks are a help
> for enblend for placing the seam.
> So there is no need to place the mask exactly. Often a very rough mask
> (with 4-10 points) is sufficient. Complex masks with many points are not
> needed. So the mask tab was written with this background. And it works for
> this use case.
>
> See for instance the tutorial on Hugins website: The example for the
> include mask shows a nice and easy mask. Such masks are sufficient for the
> most cases. The example with the exclude mask I would consider already as
> border case, this should be the finest mask needed by Hugin/Enblend.
> Handling more complex mask is not the task of the mask tab. You can try it,
> it may work or not. But this is not the task of the mask tab and it is a
> misuse of the feature.

No one is asking for sub-pixel accuracy. We're trying to understand how the
masking functionality works and noted that it behaves in unexpected ways
and not as the manual (which is admittedly minimal) indicates. I'd go so
far as to say that it behaves unlike any similar function I've used in
other software.

I'll happily edit the manual to say, for example, that the mask feature is
not meant to handle complex masks and that masks of only 4-10 points should
be sufficient. Note however that the tutorial you like has a mask with over
30 points, and that it also includes the directions on how to manipulate
masks that don't behave as described.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/7bd7c583-e740-43a0-a6e4-10fa285f7f7e%40googlegroups.com.