I wanted to convey my impressions while fresh, albeit two years too late.
:) Ofcourse, complaining is easy and I guess I forgot to praise the
wonderful piece of software we have. Just didnt't state the obvious.

Good point from Bruno - Lowering the new-user-threshold is incredibly
important to spread the use and for that reason I appreciate the Simple
interface (although I've never used it). However, this has to be done with
care so power users are not left out in the cold and I would say that
hiding the tabs borders on that.

As I understand it, the only difference between Advanced and Expert is that
the former hides Translation parameters. Wouldn't it be great to take the
distinction further by also making the Optimizer tab permanent for Expert?

I can live with having to reset photometric parameters in every project,
although I often forget (regardless of Hugin version). Would love to be
able to toggle them "off" in a global setting or a popup dialog while
importing images. I can appreciate that the possibility is there in case of
emergency although it's often too late in the processing pipeline
especially when originating from RAW images. Perhaps there could be an
on-screen disclaimer about histogram banding to lead new users towards the
best workflow. (In my current project all the EXIF-containing images
disappeared completely. I thought they had been "optimized far away" until
I realized they were exactly where they should, just invisible until I
reset their EV values).

Re: J. Schneider and Ctrl-clicking, I would not have known to do so
innately but there is a helpful text on the screen which advices to use
"control + left mouse click", which perhaps you hadn't noticed.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/07b97b52-61a0-47d3-b588-f3a7927440ab%40googlegroups.com.