Hello all, hello John,
you expressed a couple of problems that I experience, too. It took me quite some time to get used to it.

1. "Hiding the Optimizer and Exposure windows is confusing." I guess you meant the tabs. These are displayed as soon as you choose a setting like "custom parameters" for geometric or photometric optimisation. So they are not displayed as long as there are not settings to change. Quite useful I find - but see issue 4.

2. Why is there no delete button? I wonder too! That's what GUIs are for. They should present the possible commands and not make you search for them. (Anyway, you can just hit the delete key!)

3. This new underlining & bolding UI is not only less ergonomic to read and to use, I must admit I have never understood how to use it properly. I can "select all" or "unselect all" images to be optimized for a specific parameter. Thank you John! You mentioned Ctrl-clicking and I tried and only now found out how to optimise a parameter for only one image (or a selection, but not all). I really think there should be a more obvious way to do this. Or have I been living under a rock and this is something a computer user usually knows? This is why I have not uninstalled the last hugin version with the old UI and although I know now how to use it I would still be grateful if it could be reverted to checkboxes.

4. Yes, the sub menu structure of these menus doesn't make it clear where to find that. When you have the Exposure tab displayed (see above!) it's easier or more obvious: When you hit the "Reset" button, you get a similar dialogue to that "reset custom ..." one and here it's in the first option. I think, too, this should be easier to find. Although this is probably a very special use case.

Best regards
Joachim Schneider