Terry Duell wrote:

I just tried that with my 150-450 lens and the image of the diaphragm is in
quite different positions at 150mm FL, depending on which end of the lens I'm
viewing. My guess is a difference of about 75mm.
The locations come much closer together and move towards the camera as the FL
is increased.
Does that sound sensible, or am I on the wrong track with this?

I found my NPP empirically.

I had already made the baseboard of my pano head (which is just a piece of wood
with a hole for a 1/4" bolt, which is what the camera fixes to).

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/bugbear33/media/pano_head.jpg.html

I'd pencilled the line of the axis of the lens (which is physically obvious)
onto the board.

(see attached diagram)

I put a panel pin into a piece of scrap, leaving just the head sticking out,
and put two AA batteries roughly in line, a couple of feet from
the camera, and 6 inches different in distance.

In other words, a subject with worst case parallax.

I then placed the board+camera onto the pin head,
somewhere on the line, and twisted the camera right-left.

There was, of course, lots of parallax movement of the two batteries,
visible in the viewfinder.

I simply moved the camera+board backward and forward
on the line, doing test pivots, until parallax was at a minimum.

Admittedly, a fully adjustable pano head would
allow you to find the NPP with more accuracy, but this
was easy and cheap.

 BugBear