On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 9:07:16 AM UTC, bugbear wrote:

> I put a panel pin into a piece of scrap, leaving just the head sticking
> out,
> and put two AA batteries roughly in line, a couple of feet from
> the camera, and 6 inches different in distance.
>
> In other words, a subject with worst case parallax.

Snap!  I did the same in 2002:  http://www.johnhpanos.com/nodal.jpg .  It's
a good method for non-SLR cameras.

Except, your two batteries only 6 inches apart is far from being the worse
case parallax.  *Both* batteries will exhibit parallax shift and what you
are seeing is the difference between these two shifts.  It's better to
compare the near battery with something as far away as possible.  I use a
window frame in the house across the road as the far reference point.

John

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/3cafe3b4-df96-4867-acee-1d2fb6f77eb6%40googlegroups.com.