On 2019-08-07 11:38 a.m., Mihai Dobrescu wrote:
[Hi all, I continue the discussion here. Mike]

Thank you! The discussion began when I've tried to get more out of that middle-bottom bush. In your first attempt, you've got the same crop as me and the bush was cropped too much too.
I find the process of that tuning exactly the same as you do.
Somehow, I've got a similar image.

As for the second attempt, indeed, I think Gimp might be the solution, but Hugin should be able to apply this process itself as it seems to be a necessary step in some cases and mght be useful in panoramas.
I think the code is there, because Hugin morphs individual images in order to synchronize the control points.

Best Regards.

Sorry, but as I explained to you in email, the code is not there. Hugin is a dedicated panorama stitcher. It doesn't work by "morphing" individual images. What it does is apply certain global transformations to the input images, using a well established model, in order to match control points in the images as closely as possible. There's no code in there to perform arbitrary transformations of groups of pixels within the input images, or within the resulting panorama.

ACR works exactly the same way Hugin does when it comes to stitching: it matches features in the input images by applying global transformations to them. But unlike Hugin, ACR contains additional code which allows it to distort specific parts of the result. It looks to me like the additional code is basically a limited (and therefore fairly easy to automate) version of Gimp's cage transform tool, dedicated to this one task of filling in empty space around the edges of a stitched image.

Could the necessary code be added to Hugin? Of course it could! But that would be an enormous amount of work, and I can't see that it would be worth anyone's while to put the effort in. You're probably going to want to edit your panorama in the Gimp or some other general purpose editor, anyway, to fix minor stitching/blending errors, do some color correction, add a bit of sharpening, etc. So why not fix the corners of your panorama while you're at it?

My advice is to embrace the unix/linux philosophy of using collections of smaller, focused tools to accomplish what you're after. Hugin and the Gimp are both very good at what they do. You can think of them, if you like, as a single combined program: Hugin+Gimp. It's a very powerful combination. Sure, it's a bit less convenient to use than ACR in some respects. But that's a small price to pay for the freedom to be able to avoid the inflexible and invasive operating systems that companies like Adobe cater to.

Cheers,
BBB
--
Bob Bright