[I paste my answer here. Mike]

Hi, I am a software developer myself. I imagine it's not simple.
The code I was referring to is morph-to-fit script and related.

As a side note, ACR and PS use a script to stitch, I imagine the analysis
and refinement to implement the whole process... They have managed to make
a simple to use tool that fulfills a lot of people needs with a few clicks.
I am not saying it's perfect or to steel the idea from it, but it's a good
example.

Too bad the discussion was split by writing directly to my inbox, as now
I've got two opposite answers...
Of course, I wouldn't come to force anybody to do it or accept some code
for it, nor having hard feelings for refusing that. Here might come some
fork, that makes FOSS so flexible, but also a pain for the users, no wonder
they blame it so much...

ACR would be my tool of choice, as I am not looking for something free,
but, you know, I have embraced Linux, due to much pain induced by using
Windows (privacy invasion and lack of support for certain VT-d
implementations that renders it not bootable for years, and other
inconsistencies and situations that broke my workflow). So I have found
several gems like RawTherapee, Darktable, Inkscape, Krita, GIMP, Blender,
along with their fine and responsive teams. And the DE's on Linux are
stellar wonderful and well usable, that lead me to a true dilemma of what
to chose, I'd peek at least two at once. The only thing left would have
been a good panorama tool, which Hugin is.

Kind Regards,
Mike

PS: Often, the simpler the UI, the more complex the code is.