On Friday, February 11, 2022 at 3:24:32 PM UTC-5 dkloi wrote:

> If provide the raw files, maybe we could give it a shot. Are you able to
> show what you are getting?

Thanks for the offer.  But this time I'd rather not share the photos (and
they were not raw, they were from my cell phone, which has a much worse
camera then most cell phones).

I hope on my vacation (which will be later this month) to be using my new
camera and mostly with a 105mm lens shooting mostly scenes that ought to be
much wider, and so will need hugin when I get home (and those will be
raw).  I expect some of those will be better examples with which to ask for
help.

In high contrast situations, I will use exposure blending with enfuse and
> this gives quite natural looking results.
>
> I don't yet have a good understanding of what enfuse and enblend are
doing  nor how to use their options.  I will gradually be learning that.
But this panorama has large continuous areas of high contrast detail that
need to be split by seams.  I think I understand the concept of a program
identifying higher contrast areas and forcing the seams to not be there.
But I can't see how that could work in this example and I haven't yet
gotten it to work in examples where I think it ought to.

This one needed avoiding exposure correction, so I chose "Exposure fused
from any arrangement" (possibly due to not really understanding the
choices).  But I don't have stacks and the panorama would be wrecked by any
exposure correction that I've seen in action.  Many upper parts of the
image need to end up darker than many lower parts even though in the real
view the darkest thing in the upper third was brighter than the brightest
of the lower third.  As I understand it, exposure correction starts with
undoing the "error" from combining images with very different exposure and
then might mitigate the consequences by a nonlinear mapping of a brightness
range with extra bits back onto a normal brightness range.  But in many of
my photos, no such mapping can fix the dynamic range problem.  Anyway, that
choice on the Stitcher tab selects both enfuse and enblend, then I'm
unclear on what each does in this example.

Before the masks were improved, fusing or blending (I don't understand
which) was happening in areas with great detail and with about a 1.5 pixel
misalignment between the images in that area.  I couldn't get better
results than that from optimize (even before I starting forcing Hfov to be
wrong).  That was enough misalignment to turn sharp sections of both
originals into a blurred section of the result.